Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday Beauty Tips!! Ten Beauty Products From Your Kitchen!!

How many times have you been swayed by one luxurious-sounding ingredient in a personal care product?  I only recently began asking myself, “why not go straight to the source?”  If those ingredients are so good for my skin, why purchase something that is 99% filler and only 1% good stuff?  You may be surprised to find that your kitchen is chock full of secret beauty ingredients that are simple to use and as good as, if not better than, the store bought version!

  • Olive Oil: Eye Make-Up Remover
Keep a small jar in your medicine cabinet.  Dab a little onto a damp cotton ball and watch your eye makeup melt right off.  It also moisturizes the delicate skin around your eyes and nourishes your lashes.  And it doesn’t sting.
  • Coconut Oil: Moisturizer and Stretch Mark Cream
Use coconut oil on your belly and thighs throughout your pregnancy to prevent stretch marks!  It’s also excellent on hands and feet, especially with cotton gloves or socks worn overnight.
  • Salt and Sugar: Hand and Foot Exfoliator
Salt and sugar are too strong for the delicate skin on your face, but make an excellent scrub for hardworking hands and feet.  Mix a little with some olive oil or honey and keep a jar handy for a quick treatment.
  • Honey: Skin and Hair Condiditioner
Stored in a squeeze bottle in your shower, honey makes a wonderful, moisture-rich conditioner.  Its humectant properties draw moisture into your hair.  And far from being a sticky mess it rinses out easily and leaves hair soft.
  • Eggs: Protein Hair Mask
Eggs are high in protein and make an excellent mask for damaged hair.  Whip up the eggs a bit, adding a tablespoon or two of olive oil and spread onto damp hair.  You may want to mix it in a blender to completely emulsify the oil.  Spread it onto your hair, wrap it in a warm towel, relax for ten to twenty minutes while it works its magic, then shampoo as you normally would.  A once a week treatment will help protect oft-styled hair.
  • Milk: Skin Softener
Cleopatra was rumored to bathe in milk for its beauty-enhancing properties.  If you don’t have a whole tub full of milk to bathe in, simply patting some onto your face, letting it dry and then rinsing it off with warm water will give you noticeably softer skin.
  • Lemon Juice: Nail Whitener
My mom was always dipping her fingers in a little basin of lemon juice to remove the stains that would accrue from a day of cooking and cleaning.
  • Vinegar: Shiny Hair Rinse
1 tablespoon in a cup of water will give you a great hair rinse that removes product buildup and makes your hair shaft smother, resulting in shinier hair.  You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for a pleasant scent.
  • Avocado: Nourishing Skin Mask
Face masks containing avocado line grocery store shelves.  Simply mashing up an avocado and letting it sit on your face will give you all the nutrients and moisture, plus enzymes, but minus weird fillers and chemicals.  Mixing it in the blender with a little water or olive oil will give you an easier-to-spread consistency.
  • Cornmeal: Facial Exfoliator
You can mix fine to medium ground cornmeal into a base of honey, oil, yogurt or mashed fruit for a gentle, but effective facial scrub that can be used on a daily basis.

In addition to the cost-saving benefit of using ingredients you already have in place of personal care products, there is the peace of mind that comes from knowing exactly what you’re putting on your skin.  You’ll likely find that these “products” work even better than their store-bought counterparts and leave your skin and hair feeling more nourished and balanced!

19 comments:

  1. I love these beauty tips.. Thanks for sharing have a great day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Honey for conditioner, who would've thought??? I'm definitely trying the olive oil for my eyes, I use waterproof/sweatproof eye makeup in the summer and when I try to wash it off at night, I have serious raccoon eyes! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never dreamed you could use some of these items as "beauty" treatments!! Thanks for letting us know! Hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, great, tips! Thanks. Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! I love ways to ensure we are not loading tons of chemicals on our skin. Hope you have a wonderful day Java! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tips! And I swear Vinegar can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I love these, and all of them are a fraction of what you would pay for 1% of a beauty product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to try the milk and vinegar tricks! Not quite kitchen cabinet but I use vaseline on my feet to soften my skin - a tip given to me by a lady who once gave me a pedicure and noted how hard my skin was. I now use it every day and after a few weeks I noticed, no more hard skin build up!

    Great tips as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great ideas! Especially the make up remover and salt & sugar rub!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Olive Oil eye makeup remover idea. I'll be trying that one.
    I have been using Coconut Oil for years and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will try the salt and sugar one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what good info to share. i was familiar with a few of these. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of many of these but haven't given them a thought in years. I'm especially intrigued by the olive oil for eye makeup Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips! I'm bookmarking this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few drops of olive oil rubbed between your palms and then worked through your hair will cut down on frizzies and leave your hair soft and shiny.

    Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this is the kind of blog I appreciate - something that I can help me. I love the cornmeal scrub and the vinegar rinse for the hair. These items I already have in my home and I can experiment right now. Thanks Java.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was great!! Chamomile tea can also be used as a final hair rinse for blondes who color their hair; I use the apple cider vinegar more often than not. One "product-buildup" removing tip I got from a hairstylist - mix about a tablespoon of baking soda in with your shampoo (in your hands) then shampoon hair, rinsing thoroughly. The BEST buildup remover ever - and so much cheaper than clarifying shampoo. Leaves hair soft and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the cornmeal scrub and the vinegar rinse for the hair. These items I already have in my home and I can experiment right now. Thanks Java.
    Exfoliating Gloves

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!