Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Great Way to Ruin The Day

Joe and I were running errands yesterday. I was driving. We were going down a pretty steep hill and Joe says, "there's a speed trap"...but by then it was too late. Officer Friendly is at the bottom of the hill flagging the car in front of me and myself over to the side of the road. He comes up to my car first and says, "Ma'am do you know what the speed limit is?".....I said, "Its 30 isn't it?"....."No Ma'am...its 25 and you were going 42...I'll need your license and registration...hang on a second Ma'am"....Office Friendly then goes up to the car in front of me..has a short conversation with the blonde haired woman and off she goes! Hmmmm...
 
So Office Friendly comes back to my car and says, "Sorry about that...I had to tell her that I was pulling you over and not her!"....I said, "Well how can that be? She is in front of me and I wasn't going any faster then her...she has a 4 door black car like me, we both have blonde hair so how do you know for sure which one of us it is?" 

Well he never did give me an answer and I got a ticket for $109.00! Said that he wasn't giving me any points and that today is more of a warning but yet I have to pay $109.00! He said he was not giving me a speeding ticket...so what do you call this?
On the ticket, the charge says:
Other: Obedience to traffic control device.  
What is that?  I never heard of that before!

He said that he was only pulling cars over that were going 15 miles over the speed limit.   I just happened to be going 17 over....or so he says.

I have only ever had one other ticket before and that was over 10 years ago.  I am always the one to tell Joe or the boys to watch their speed and then here I am the one getting a ticket!
I am going to plead not guilty on this and take my day in court.
What I have to loose?  I don't see how he can know for sure that it was me speeding and not the girl in front of me.

Sign...what a way to ruin a good day...:(

18 comments:

  1. Oh that stinks!! Sure does ruin your day, especially when the car in front of you got to drive away!! Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! I agree I would be really annoyed that the girl in front of you got to go! I hope you get out of the fine in court.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a ticket in over 20 years. I contested it in court and won. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say GO FOR IT! I'd love to hear what Obedience to Traffic Control Device means. Was there one of those machines that tells you how fast you're going? That would be the only thing I can think of. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless he has radar or laser (I got busted with one of those) - you stand a great chance of beating it.

    If he's got your vehicle on laser, I'm afraid you might be sunk.

    Good luck though, and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go to court, take Joe with you since he was also in the car. The officer might be there (and that will be bad for you if that happens). The key issue here is that you were going the SAME SPEED as the person in front of you. You could see that she was female, blonde, and alone. He let her go with a verbal warning. You got a ticket for doing the EXACT SAME THING. The law should be fair and equal to everyone and it was not. That is the issue here that should cause the judge to retract your fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh ....that sucks! Good luck and keep us posted!
    By the way, I have a couple awards for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I'm thinking I will start issuing tickets to my kids, something along the lines of Obedience to Parental Control Device.....

    I had a ticket about 6 months ago and I felt the same way....I'm such a good driver, teaching my SON to drive, and feel like I follow the rules. But apparently I rolled slowly through the stop sign.....$266. Plus traffic school. Ouch.

    Sorry for your run-in! You should try and fight it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry about the ticket. do what you think is best. since you question this looks like court is the direction. good luch have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings from Scotland!

    I think you and your readers might enjoy my new blog called MoreBitsFallOff.com -definitely one for the over 40s!

    http://morebitsfalloff.wordpress.com/about/

    All good wishes

    Anne Whitaker

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, tickets irk me...when they are for silly amounts like that! I once got a ticket for going 17 over (42 in a 25)...but about a month later the city changed the limit on that road to 45 because the 25 was illegal. Hmph. Turns out I as actually going UNDER the speed limit. Sadly, I didn't get my money back. I guess I paid for the new speed limit sign!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that just sucks! A ticket is bad enough but to get one when the other driver didn't just isn't fair. Good luck with court!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing makes my DAY any less....always mad at myself...and its been a long time since I have had that happen....but there are speed traps everywhere close to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Officer friendly wasn't all the friendly was he

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that stinks. Take your day in court you might get lucky and get a reduced fine, or out of it completely. Especially if you feel he clocked the wrong car. Give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!