Saturday, July 10, 2010

Homemade Soft Pretzels! Just like Auntie Anne's!

Joe and I were at the mall last week and smelled the delicious aroma of Auntie Anne's soft pretzels floating through the mall! Yum! No matter how full I am I always have room for a soft pretzel! We waited in line and ordered the special which was buy 3 pretzels and a large drink and get a pretzel free. We also ordered another drink and an extra pretzel so that we could take each of the boys one home! Well imagine the shock that I got when she said my total was $19.75! What!? For pretzels and drinks! We paid our total, grabbed our bag and sat down to enjoy our delicious...and expensive pretzels!

Yes they are good...but are they worth that much money? Surely there has to be a way to make them at home and have extra pretzels to share!

After doing some searching I found a recipe that is supposed to be exactly like Auntie Anne's and boy are they delicious..and way cheaper!

Auntie Anne’s Pretzels 

1 1/2 C. warm water
1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast (1 1/2 pkg.)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 C. bread flour
3 C. regular flour
2 C. warm water
2 Tbsp baking soda
To taste, coarse salt
2 – 4 Tbsp butter (melted)

Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise at least 1/2 hour.

While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda. Be certain to stir often.

After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape. Dip pretzel in soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Allow pretzels to rise again. Bake in oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter and enjoy!

Or for Auntie Anne’s famous cinnamon Sugar, try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another shallow bowl make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture.

Great to make on a rainy day, party or sleepover!! Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful! Makes me want to run out to the store and grab the ingredients right away. Of course, I looked down and realized that I probably SHOULD get out of my PJ's first! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $19.75! Holy Cow! You could have a decent dinner for two on that! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Now I know where to look if I want a soft pretzel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is priceless. Thank you. I love getting them at the mall (though I rarely go) but yep! They're so $$$
    Ileft you a little token of appreciation at my blog.
    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thier pretzels too and every time, I buy them I have the same reaction about the cost. I am going to give this recipe a gander. Hopefully, I have remembered how to turn my oven on.(I have been busy). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this same recipe, and they are DELISH!! And MUCH cheaper than Auntie Annes. LOL I too get a shock every time we order at the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I love soft pretzels. Costco used to sell them and now they don't. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this pretzels by auntie annes but that's too much to spend thanks for a way to enjoy without the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great recipes! I tried making soft pretzels when I lived in Chile because they don't have pretzels there but they were not Auntie Anne quality. I also can't wait to try your Amish Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe.
    Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that sounds like a good recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, JAVA! I don't know whether to thank you for this or not. LOL I love those pretzels, but as you said, they're just so expensive! I will definitely have to give this recipe a try. Thank you for sharing (no matter what I said previously *wink*)! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm, I can almost smell them! I am going to have to make them myself. DH & I rarely if ever go to the mall anymore so this may be the only way we get some.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Java, was enjoying your blog (again!) and came across this pretzel recipe. Am going to try making these tomorrow, wish me luck! I'm already hungry for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Java. My daughter and I have been making our own pretzels for over 3 years already. We love them, but I hate cleaning the kitchen afterwards:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG these look wonderful..I will have to make them for sure..I love all of your recipes..I love to cook and will make them all I'm sure.. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely love auntie anne's pretzels and was really happy to see a recipe of it here in the internet. Thank you for sharing this with us as the taste is really close to the original one. Went really well with a hot cup of coffee made from my one cup coffeemaker Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved these pretzels since I was a youngin and went to the mall with my 2 bff's.

    I've never made them myself but will give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Tom loves pretzels, think I will have a go at making some of these, thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  18. About how many pretzels does this recipe make? If they were Auntie Anne's pretzel sized. Reply ASAP! It's for a project. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anonymous...approx 1 dozen..depending upon how big/small you make them!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, yikes, Java! Just what I needed: another excuse to put my weight loss on hold! LOL Seriously, these look so good. blessings, k

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!