Thursday, October 7, 2010

Weddingness

9 days until the Wedding!  Its hard to believe!  I remember back at the beginning of the year when they told us and how far away October 16th seemed at the time! 

My dress is hung in my room all ready to wear.  My purse and shoes sit near by.
I bought a pair of silver flats to change into at the reception if my feet start to hurt!

I made my appointment for my hair to be done the morning of the wedding!  The girl that does my highlights doesn't do up-do's and so I had to find someone to do it.  Little did I know that wasn't an easy task!  I had no idea who to call since I've been going to the same person for years and have never had to go to anyone else.  I called the bridal shop for suggestions and they didn't have any so I started looking online.  I am VERY particular about my hair...I am mean VERY!  Finding someone was going to be very difficult because I had no idea how good...or bad they were.  I was hoping to find someone that was experienced in doing up-do's but yet I didn't want to look too "made-up"....I thought probably someone a little younger would be best because they would be more up to date with the current styles.

I found a place called Looks Unlimited and spoke to a Terri.  She suggested I stop by with the picture of what I wanted my hair to look like for the Wedding.  So the next day after work I stopped by to see Terri.  When I got there this tiny older lady was sitting at the desk....her hair was bleached blonde and teased and sprayed into this high bouffant...."please don't be Terri"....
Hi, I'm Java here to see Terri...
"Hi-ya!  I'm Terri!"....
Ohhhhh...hi!
"Come on back to my seat and lets see what you have!"
Okay...
So I sat down and handed her the picture of what I wanted my hair to look like.  I looked around and seriously thought I was back in the 1970's.
"Oh yeah...I can to that"...
All I could picture was looking like Flo from Mel's Diner!
Okay...well thank you and I'll call you when I get home because I'm not sure what time I want to make the appointment....
I ran to my car...
I drove away as fast as I could...
As I was headed home I remembered a salon that I had been in before when I was doing sales for the Nail Polish company and it just happened to be on the road that I was on and decided to stop in and see if anyone there could do it.
I went in and spoke to the receptionist Lori who said that Carol is really, really good at up-do's!
Yes!!
"What date is the Wedding?"
October 16th.
"Ohhhhh....Carol isn't here that day"....
Ugh!!
"Lisa is here that day and she is good too!!"
Ummm okay...is she here by any chance so I can meet her?
"She is!  Let me go ask her!"
"She will be done with her client in about 10 minutes if you want to wait?"
I sure will!
So I sat patiently waiting...
Lisa pops her head around the corner and said "hi!"
Whew...she doesn't have a bouffant and she looks like she would be "good"....
I showed her the picture and she said, "no problem at all!"
Yipee!  I made the appointment and out the door I went!

But then I got to thinking...what if she isn't any good....its not like I'll be able to re-do my hair after its done because it will be too late!

So I started fretting about this...."what if my hair looked like crap?"....I was driving myself nuts!

Well don't you know that yesterday I ran into the regular receptionist at the salon that I'm going to and we started talking because she couldn't remember where she knew me from and I told her that I used to come into her salon with the Nail Products....she then remembered me and I told her that I was in there the other day but she wasn't there and I told her what I was there for.  She said that Carol and Lisa are both equally good at Wedding hairdo's and that Lisa is actually more particular then Carol is!  She said that I won't be disappointed!  Whew...I was so relived and happy!   One more thing I can check off the list!

Friday is the RSVP date for the rehearsal dinner and as of today, we still haven't heard from 2 of the bridesmaids, 3 of the groomsmen and 3 others!  We sent these out 3 weeks ago.  I made it easy to RSVP with either a phone number or email.  Why is it so difficult to get an answer?  They were supposed to let us know their dinner selection...pretty soon they aren't getting anything!  I always respond right away for things like that and can't understand why other people don't.   They all are obviously coming since they will all be at the rehearsal....so why won't they respond??

I am going shopping Saturday morning for something to wear to the rehearsal dinner!  I'll let you know what I find!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like u have things under control!.Can't wait to see and read about that special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Our oldest daughter got married November 2008 and, on the day of the wedding, the person who was supposed to 'do hair' didn't show. Luckily, my Aunt Brenda, who is an amazing hair dresser, was here for the wedding and stepped in to save the day! Oh, and the RSVP thing? I'm finding that a lot of people just don't bother anymore...don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the wedding is only nine days away! We had trouble finding someone to do an updo for our daughter for a dance. I couldn't believe how difficult it was.

    I don't what it is with people not RSVPing these days. I sent out 100 invitations for my husband's 50th birthday and only 14 or 15 RSVPed one way or the other. I didn't possibly know how to plan.

    Java, I know you'll show us pictures from the wedding. But I really, really want to see plenty of pictures of you from the rehearsal dinner as well as the big day, pretty please. I just know you are going to be drop dead gorgeous and you've been describing everything you are going to wear; so I am dying to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found somebody to do your hair. I can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Young 'uns...they don't understand the whole "etiquette" thing, I think. Whatcha gonna do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd make sure that my son (or the daughter-in-law to be) called, texted or whatever'd these members of the wedding party and made it perfectly clear that they had better RSVP, ASAP or they will be sitting at the rehearsal dinner with an empty space in front of them while everyone else is eating!

    My cousin's son was married in July and she had the same problem with not getting any replies from members of the wedding party. But as soon as she told the bride and groom about their friends not having any dinner, it was amazing how many phone calls she got!

    Kids today have no clue about wedding (or any other) ettiquette. (Oh Lordy, I sound like my mother!) But, it's true. I made it a point to teach my daughter how to handle things like that, but I guess not all parents do.

    Just give my cousin's idea a whirl and I think you'll have your RSVP's in plenty of time. Can't wait to see all of the pictures of the big day!

    Peace,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are real poops about RSVPs!
    The hair thing is worth being scared. Sounds like you checked this person out and they are okay. It almost makes you want to go in for a practice "do". At least you don't have Terri working on you. Plus, it would be hard to make you look bad, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Patrice......could you go in for a practice "do"....I am pretty sure most places will do that. If you don't like it you can always were it like you ususally do. Can't wait to see the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck with the wedding. You are gorgeous - so you'll look beautiful no matter what. For my son's wedding, we did 3 "practice runs" & I still wasn't happy with my up-do (too many bobby pins & too much hair spray!). But it was still one of the happiest days of my life. Enjoy!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an award for you on my blog! http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/10/award-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh pictures please!!! Lots of them :-)

    And yes, the RSVP thing is a right pain down here too.

    BTW I've begun that new series that I emailed you about: http://momentsofwhimsy.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/encouragement-for-the-journey-pt-1-wk-411/

    Would really love you to be a guest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people can be so inconsiderate...what would it take to RSVP with everyone having a cell phone these days since that was an option - hope the rehersal dinner goes off smoothly. But I can't wait to see you in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, it's coming up so fast! I'm surprised they aren't having a hair dresser come for all the women. Usually what happens at my weddings is they have a person, or a few people come to the hotel or whever the bridal party is getting ready and they do the hair of everybody there, moms, bride, flower girls, everybody. I am glad you found somebody though! And someone who should be good! We want to see a picture of your up do Java!! What is your plan?

    It's really typical for the bridal party to flake on RSVP's, even if there is a food selection. More than half the time, they don't even realize they are supposed to RSVP, and most of the guys lose it. I'd check in and give them a call... or you could teach them a lesson and not feed them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter got married this summer and only half the guests bothered to RSVP.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your blog today, it took me back to the time when my children were getting married. Try to relax, just have a great time and enjoy this new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little sister is very particular about her hair also, so for her wedding I made her have the girl that was going to do it, actually do it a couple of weeks before so there would be no surprises for her wedding. Because Bad hair on a Drama queen's wedding day wouldn't have been good.

    Not saying your a Drama queen, I'm sure it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting that the wedding is almost here!! It’s nice you got the hairdresser taken care of. I was lucky that my daughter searched for a hairdresser to do her hair, her bridesmaids’ hair, the mother-of-the-groom’s hair, and my hair. She actually ended up with two who work at the same salon, and they even practiced on us beforehand. It was wonderful!

    I agree with everyone – I can’t wait to see pictures!

    http://RaisingFigureSkaters.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. time goes fast. i remember you talking about the wedding. the lady with the high up do sounds strange. hopefully the 2nd. woman will do fine,in either case you are already beautiful. rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really thought weddings were only supposed to be stressful for the bride. I never thought about how stressful they were for the parents. You have had a lot of stress with this one all the way down the line. I imagine that the day of the ceremony will be a piece of cake after everything that has come before! So glad that you have gotten the Hair Detail solved.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!