The key to dealing with the changes and being your best is to refresh your look. Shoes and bags are the quickest way to update your look. Women over 40 need to learn how to adapt trends that will work for them. Most of all you need learn to not hang onto what worked before and undergo a "style evolution" and learn to dress for your new assets.
Fashion and Beauty Fixes
Gravity takes its toll on women of a certain age, but fashion tricks can camouflage most of these problems:
- Wrinkled neck - Stand-up or turn-up collars are a great way to cover that area and bring focus to the face.
- Thick in the middle - Add jackets and pieces that will give you shape.
- Thinner hair- Your hair has to suit you. Get a fresh cut. Shorter hair gives more of a lift and the variety of new products can improve your hairstyle.
- Focus on shoulders and legs - They are the slowest to age. That doesn't mean wearing miniskirts, but you can bring attention to legs with a knee-length skirt and sexy shoes.
- Change in coloring - Lighten up! One tip is to always wear a bit of white close to the face. Soft colors -- pale pink, white, beige, ice blue -- bring light to the face.
- Look at mature television and movie actresses you admire and emulate their look.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. By the time you are 50 you have some sense of what your style is. You probably have the basics down and now it's time to add pizazz like adding bold glasses or wearing a collar turned up.
- Recycle pieces from your closet (with caution). Some trends can come back and you can revisit them with a twist.
- Dated Sunglasses? Get rid of them! Big is in, so you should have some that are large with wide sides.
- Get a new purse! We are seeing a lot of women over 40 out there with very dated looking purses. Ladies, wake up and get a fun new bag! Oversized is in and will perk up your outfit and hip factor instantly!
- Make up! Too little...too much...just right? The bad: Too much eye-liner, frosted lipstick, blue eyeshadow. Too Little: Not wearing makeup is just as bad as too much. At least, please use under-eye concealer, a natural lipstick and draw in your eyebrows. Just right: You should be natural looking but still wearing make-up. That means blush, lipstick, mascara, eyebrows, etc…. Yes it’s work, but its worth it!
- Speaking of mascara...do NOT wear mascara on your bottom lashes!! It highlights crow's-feet. And dark circles. And it just generally looks bad. Coat your top lashes with the blackest black mascara you can find—"it will make the whites of your eyes look clearer and whiter. Don't forget your curler!! Curling your lashes is the easiest thing you can do to make your eyes look bigger—and therefore younger!!
- Skip the jean skirt! Do you still have a jean skirt from years ago? Are you still wearing it? Toss it and get a great pair of dark jeans instead.
- Get some chunky necklaces! This is the year of the chunky and large necklace. Keep your tiny one in your jewelry box for now.
- Boring coat? If your outer coat is boring, you’re missing some fun. Your outer coat is where you should show your personality. If you find one you like, buy it and then enjoy all the compliments that will come your way!