Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Beauty Tips!! 12 Ways to Delay Aging!!




Growing old gracefully isn't a lost art―it's just a forgotten one!  I for one try to do everything possible to delay the aging process!!  I have found 12 easy ways to help delay this process and wanted to share it with you!!  About 80 percent of aging is caused by environmental factors....things you have control over! 

Wear sunscreen every day. You've heard it before: Sun exposure is the number one cause of premature aging! Ultraviolet light from the sun―or a tanning bed―breaks down collagen and elastin, the substances that keep skin smooth and firm. To help minimize damage and wrinkles, stay out of the sun and follow these tips:

Apply sunscreen liberally. A too-thin layer of SPF (sun protection factor) 15 is equal to only about SPF 7. Use a shot glass-size amount to cover your body and a teaspoonful to cover your face.
  • Don't forget your legs!  More cases of malignant melanomas are on women's legs than on their faces! 
  • Don't rely on SPF-enhanced makeup. Chances are you don't wear enough of it to defend your skin.

  • Choose sunglasses with UV protection. Good sunglasses help prevent cataracts, and they also keep you from squinting, which can, over time, break down the collagen around your eyes and cause crow's-feet.   
  • Avoid smoky situations. If you smoke, quit. And nonsmokers should be aware that chronic exposure to secondhand smoke can damage skin.
  • Be conscious of repetitive movements. Between smiling, frowning, and talking, your face makes thousands of movements a day. Over time, these repetitive motions lead to deeper lines.  If you're constantly drinking through a straw, chewing gum, or smoking, you're breaking down the collagen around your mouth. And the wrinkles will come earlier!!
  • Stop picking! It's hard to resist the urge to do a little at-home surgery on a pimple, but the mark it might leave is the most persuasive reason not to. As you age, acne scars often end up looking more like wrinkles.  If you have a pimple on your cheek near where a wrinkle forms, it will make the wrinkle deeper. 
  • Cleanse with alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). They help remove the top layer of dead skin cells to reveal a fresh layer underneath.  Alpha hydroxy acids (such as glycolic acid) unclog pores and help your skin look smoother.  Note: If you have oily or acne-prone skin, try a cleanser with a beta hydroxy acid (BHA).
  • Use an anti-aging cream at night. New anti-aging creams arrive on cosmetics counters all the time―with bigger claims and heftier price tags. But good old retinoids, which contain a vitamin A derivative, are still the gold standard.  Retinoids encourage the skin to renew itself, smoothing fine lines and helping to repair sun damage. I use Garnier Nutritoniste Ultra-Lift Pro Deep Wrinkle Night Cream.  
  • Try a weekly exfoliation treatment. Over time, your skin should respond by thickening slightly.   Thickening is good.....Thicker skin shows fewer wrinkles. I use L'Oreal Go 360 Clean Deep  Exfoliating Scrub.  
  • Remember the rest of your body. "Everything you do for your face, you should also do for your neck, chest, and hands.  Those are the primary spots that show aging.  At the very least, moisturize: Hydrated skin looks plumper and smoother.  
  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I'm not good about doing many of the things. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder. I do my face, forget about my hands, chest, neck.

    That's why my face looks good, but the rest...yikes!

    I'm a Garnier fan, also..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just switched to L'Oreal day and night creams so will get the 360 Clean you recommend also. Good tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been fixated on anti-aging products for years- because I know that prevention is key. All those beautiful women in their 60's who look like they're 30 all say the same thing- take care of yourself when you're young and you'll stay that way.

    What sucks is, when I try to consistently use anti-aging products, particuarly night creams.. I start breaking out. So my use is totally sporadic and pretty much rare at this point, as much as I love the products. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And don't forget the SPF on your lips! My dermatologist told me that cancer on the lips is a growing concern because we tend to cover the rest of us with sunscreen but we don't want it in our mouths, so we leave that area bare and then apply regular lipstick that has no SPF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - I chew a ton of gum! And already have those horrible wrinkles above my lips. Eek. BTW - I've had three skin cancers so love seeing the mention of sunscreen.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!