Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Creamy Peanut Butter Eggs! Mmmmmm

Here it is! My super creamy and delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Egg recipe! As I stated yesterday, I have never shared this with anyone! Here is how you make them:

You only need 5 ingredients!!



This recipe is doubled because they don't last long enough to only make 1 batch! The doubled recipe made 140 but it depends on how big or small you make them. If you don't want to make the double batch, then just cut the recipe in half. I will list both the single and double batch ingredients:

Single

3/4 pound butter (3 sticks) (do not use margarine) Room Temperature
2 pounds 10x sugar
13 oz. Marshmellow Creme
2 lbs. Peanut Butter (Jif seems to taste the best)
2 1/2 lbs. Chocolate Coating Disks (see below)

Double

1 1/2 pound butter (6 sticks) (do not use margarine) Room Temperature
4 pounds 10x sugar
26 oz. Marshmellow Creme
4 lbs. Peanut Butter (Jif seems to taste the best)
5 lbs. Chocolate Coating Disks (see below)

These direction will be for the DOUBLE batch!!
Once the butter is soft, use electric mixer and beat the butter and 1 pound 10x sugar on medium speed until creamy.

Add the 26 oz. marshmellow cream.



Beat with mixer on medium speed until mixed.



Add the 4 lbs of Peanut Butter



Beat with mixer on medium speed until smooth



Next add the remaining 3 pounds of 10x sugar....ONE pound at a time!!


I bought the 10x sugar in 1 lb bags which made it easier so I didn't have to measure!
When adding in the sugar, use a spoon and not the mixer as its too thick and you will probably burn up your mixer which I have done about 4 times now! lol



Lay wax paper on cookie sheets. Shape mixture into oval eggs. Place on cookie sheets.



I used 3 cookie sheets and put them close together.


Put cookie sheets in refrigerator for several hours or freezer for 45 minutes. They have to be really cold before you can dip them in the chocolate.

After they are cold, melt the chocolate in a double boiler.


Do NOT boil the chocolate. Heat only until the disks are all melted. I used this chocolate:





Use a thin, pointed object like a skewer or something. I use something I found in my kitchen drawer...I have no idea what it is, but it works! Dip one egg at time...let the excess drip off.


You can make your eggs alittle fancier if you want by drizzling some of the excess chocolate over an egg that has already been dipped:


Once the excess had dripped off, twirl your tool to "shake off" the egg onto the wax paper on a cookie sheet...then use your tool to dot a little chocolate over the hole that your tool was in.


Some extra tips:

You can't heat all the chocolate at once...I melted the chocolate 4 different times...while the chocolate is heating, put the eggs that you didn't dip back into the refrigerator...take one tray out at a time..keeping the other trays cold. Use a paper towel to wipe off your tool after each dip. The colder the egg, the easier it is to dip.

That's it! Don't they look yummy?


I purchased some wax bags at the candy store for easy giving!


Please let me know if you make them and how much you enjoyed them! Or if you have any questions!!

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! My husband and I can easily go through a few bags of these from the store. Matter of fact, he told me last night to go buy some. Maybe I'll make our own now, though I don't think I'll make 140 of them. We would be bigger than the house! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...I know what you mean! I thought I'd justify making that many and saying they are for the kids, but I'm the one that keeps eating them!! You could make the single batch! If you make them, let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New reader and I'm printing your peanut butter egg recipe. My only question before deciding how many to make is how do you store them and approximately how long do they stay fresh? Thanks. Really like your blog as I am raising teenage boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan! Great! I'm so glad you are going to make them! I keep them in the refrigerator in plastic containers...separating any layers with wax paper. I like them at room temperature so I keep a small container on the counter with a couple in! They keep for at least a month! If they last that long!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW It looks good!
    Happy Friday Follow!
    Please check out my blog and follow me back?
    cheers !

    http://halfbrazilianhalfirish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous Found your great blog through Friday Follow. Now Following!
    http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. Found you through Friday Follow. Now following. Follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Yummy! I just stopped by to wish a happy weekend!

    Kel
    http://betweenthelines-kam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Following you from Friday Follow! That looks delicious! Have a great weekend!

    Cathy ♥ Snow White's Blog Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was already hungry before I came to your blog...now I am drooling!

    Happy Friday Follow. Visiting and now following you! You have a great blog- glad I found it! Looking forward to reading more.

    Have a great weekend Alyssa

    http://bloggin2noggin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM....I am going to make them as soon as I buy some creamy pb, I only have crunchy in my cupboard!

    Following through Friday Follow!

    ~Lauri
    http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look amazing!! I'm following from Friday Follow. Looking forward to reading more of your blog! Have a great weekend!

    yellowhouseknits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These could be dangerous in my house! There is no better combo than chocolate and peanut butter. ;-)

    Friday Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy
    Here from FF

    Take a minute to check out my blog
    I Have a Misikko Hana flat Iron Giveaway Going over 100 dollar package and other giveaways also

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet these are so good, much better than store bought. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Just in time for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm going to have to email you to get an answer to this, but I am making these tomorrow as a special project with my niece and nephew who are having a little slumber party at my house tonight, and I don't understand, what do you mean by "10x" 10 times one pound? 2 pounds sugar 10x? What does that mean??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Emily!
    Great! I'm excited that you are going to make them! Sorry for the confusion. 10x is confectionery sugar or Powered sugar. So if it says 2 pounds 10x then it means 2 pounds confectionery sugar!

    Hope that helps...anymore questions please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We did it! And they came out sooo great, I love them! I added ONE thing to mine... we have this old family chocolate/peanut butter themed recipe in my family that calls for wheat germ. so I added wheat germ to my dough, and it came out great! It really had that texture that a real reese's egg has and was a tiny bit healthier for you too! :) Thanks for the recipe, this was great! I'm making another batch now for my significant other to celebrate a new job- who says you can only have eggs at Easter?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came across your blog the other day and got hooked. You look great and your blog is funny and fun to read. I love the beuty tips and all. But i had to comment on this recipe. It looks so good that i have to save it and make it soon. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delightful, chocolate and peanut butter:) Throw in a cup of coffee and I may never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  21. made these again this year thank you again for the great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  22. once again pb egg time ill be using this today and this morning i made your dorito chicken wow it was fabulous ty

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!