Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Young Girl...

I saw this poem and had to share...another reason why I'm Never Growing Old...

What are you thinking when you're looking at me?
A crabby old woman, not very wise,
Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes? 


I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still,

I'm a small child of ten ... with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters, who love one another.


A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet,
Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.


A bride soon at twenty -- my heart gives a leap,
Remembering the vows that I promised to keep.


At twenty-five now, I have young of my own,
Who need me to guide and secure a happy home.


A woman of thirty, my sons now grown fast,
Bound to each other with ties that should last.


At forty, my sons have grown and are gone,
But my man's beside me to see I don't mourn.


At fifty once more, babies play round my knee,
Again we know children, my loved one and me.


For my sons are all rearing young of their own,
And I think of the years and the love that I've known.


I'm an old woman now, and nature is cruel.


The body is crumbled, grace and vigor depart.
There is now a stone where I once had a heart.


But inside this old carcass, a young girl still dwells,
And now and again my battered heart swells.


I remember the joys, I remember the pain,
And I'm loving and living life over again.


I think of the years, all too few,
Gone to fast, and accept the stark fact that nothing can last.


So open your eyes, open and see,
Not a crabby old woman you'll see;
Look closer ... and see ME!


Remember this poem when you next meet an old person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within ...... We will one day be there, too!

18 comments:

  1. wow, I love this and part of me feels like it was my heart speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words!! thabks for sharing! xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this poem. I love it! I work in a nursing home and some ladies well into their 80's and 90's still remember what it's like to be young...and they dream....and they sigh. Getting old can be harsh--it ravages the exterior, but inside the young heart still exists. Oh, we had this posted on our bulletin board at work. I'll have to repost it. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I think it just reminded me of all of the things I haven't accomplished by 38. LOL Just teasing.. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is the author, Java?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Java! Thank you so much for sharing it, it brought tears to my eyes. Hope you are having a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living with my 87 year old mother I see up close and personal how difficult it is to grow old. Frustration over not being able to do the things she once could do physically. Mentally her mind is still sharp as a tack. Working at Walgreens (near a retirement community) we get lots of elderly folks, some are cranky, but I always go out of my way to do that little something extra for them no matter their mood! I would only hope others in the same situation would do the same for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Java,for sharing this poem. The first time I read this beautiful poem,was many years ago I was young then,but I cried like a baby...and today it still has the power to bring tears to my eyes. Thanks so much! Blessings Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this poem I have copied it and would like to print and frame it for my nan, if that is ok with you...............she will be 91 in May.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) Nice reminder, but it does make me a little sad too. My 89 year old grandmother doesn't seem to look back so fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you!!!I could relate to it. I feel time moving on fast. I'm grasping at all i can experience as the time moves oh so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thought provoking! Thank you for sharing this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true!
    I picked up and added your button to my blog.
    Blessings~kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely, it brought tears to my eyes. My mother is almost eighty and was such a livewire in her day. She still is when she can be but recent illnesses have taken away a lot of her spirit. She is also sadder these days because many of her peers, including my father have passed away. I am always sad when I see old people out shopping alone, buying for one. I am always extra nice to old people, even the cranky ones! You say we'll all be there some day, well, there are no guarantees. Hopefully we will though! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely poem and so true it brought a tear to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!