Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grocery Tips!!

I recently had a request from a reader asking me some tips on feeding a large family!  It is no easy task and I'm sure I could save way more if I tried.  Here are some of the things that work for us:
  • Shop in bulk with a list. (we shop at Sam's Club...alot!)
  • Speaking of Sam's Club, their whole chickens are only $5 and go a long way...have it with rice a veggie....use it to make chicken quesadillas, use it in your chicken soups, any way that you use chicken...its cheaper AND it will save you time!
  • Take one of those whole rotisserie chickens...remove meat from the bones, divide into 5...add a salad (a whole container of Spring Mix at Sam's for $4.00) and take it to work for lunch!  Super savings! 
  • Buy your produce at farmer's markets or roadside stands..much cheaper then the grocery store!
  • Eat 1 or 2 meatless dinners a week.
  • Serve homemade soups or chili and breads with meals. 
  • Crock pot meals go a long way.  I have the 7 quart size.  I make ham, green beans & potatoes or a roast with carrots and potatoes.
  • Cut meat in small pieces; it feels like they are getting more.
  • Pasta once a week.
  • Macaroni & Cheese (I'll share a great & easy recipe soon)..serve with salad or green vegetable and applesauce.
  • Take the time to clip those coupons!  It does make a difference!  You can also find some online like here or google: grocery coupons to find more.
  • Make a list of what's in your pantry!  I don't know how many times I've purchased something only to come home and find it already in the pantry!  I have a large inventory! 
  • Get a magnetic tablet and put it on the refrigerator...write down the things when you run out! 
  • Have breakfast for dinner (we usually have French Toast, waffle fries & bacon).
  • Allow the kids to eat at their friends and grandparents whenever invited.
We all like to treat ourselves and dine out...some more then others!  And when you can dine out and save at the same time, even better!  Click here to find some deals!

Those are some of my tips!  I would love to hear some of yours!!

    3 comments:

    1. I can't imagine how you do it all with four boys with healthy appetites! AS for savings, yes I am a coupon clipper and it really can and does save me a lot of money. As for eating out, if you sign up for restaurant newsletters, emails etc and do their on line surveys you often then get coupons or notice of special deals that way. Also lunch out tends to be cheaper than dinner and any place that does all you can eat buffet lunches I imagine would be great with four lads to feed!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Just stopping in and looking around from Follow Friday! And just became your newest follower! Yea! Hope you stop by and return the favor!

      My blog www.remodelaholic.com is all about interior design and remodeling there are some great tutorials so you can get the look you want on a budget! We also have a party every Friday to show off your stuff!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Excellent tips! Thank you for sharing them.

      ReplyDelete

    I love, love, love comments!! Thank you for taking the time and for making my day!! I read every single one and if you ask a question please be sure that I will get back to you as soon as I can!